Thursday, April 11, 2013

Around Here...

Hey Friends =]

I haven't posted much here and on Facebook because my life has been totally different the last week. I find when things aren't so great or I am going through something serious, I don't splash it all over facebook. (Provides some insight into how seriously I took my engagement last year, huh??) When things are good, I am usually pretty wild. When things are private, I am private and communicate personally. It just seems proper for me.

Last Friday my Mom went to the hospital because she was in pain and didn't come to work the prior 3 days. This was severe because even during chemo, my Mom came into work so this was major. She had us all worried so on Friday, my Dad made her go. Long story short, within a few hours of arriving in the emergency room, she had a four hour emergency surgery on her bowels. They were totally twisted and this was stemming or happened from her Ovarian Cancer surgery several years ago.

We were all on pins and needles waiting and there when she woke up. During that time, especially when the surgery ran much longer than expected, you just HOPE they make it through surgery! She thankfully did. I was on my hands and knees that day praying for her. The people I was calling and called during and as soon as she made it through are my people and it's an amazing reminder.

In the mean time, I have been running the business and it was a good reminder that I CAN DO THIS. 

The last 6 days, we have been waiting for her bowels to "wake up" so she hasn't had any food or water. She has been on an IV to get her liquids. No food and water is tough! It usually happens in a day or so...so 6 days in, I was pretty worried this morning. I have gone to the hospital every morning before work and most evenings after work. My brothers and Dad and I have communicated more in this last week than probably in the last few years so that is a blessing in disguise I think :)

This morning, we got some bowel sounds - after waiting for SIX WHOLE DAYS. Thank Goodness! I was there this morning for my Mom's first real food in 9 days. What a celebration - pancakes no less!

She is still in the hospital and has a long recovery ahead of her but I wanted to check in with all of you and thank those who have reached out and checked in, sent notes, prayers, and just general support. You find out who your true "peeps" are during a time like this. I am also reminded how strong and close knit my family is. I am glad I don't have shitty siblings who wouldn't step up or an absentee Dad. I am really, really blessed.

Some random thoughts this week:

time to step up
I promise I will behave if she makes it through
God, I am sorry I only come to you when I need something. I promise to check in when things are good.
New Frye Boots can never hurt
SUSHI
Why did we even fight over that? 
Taco Bell definitely happened three times but I am forgiving myself and moving forward
THANK YOU.
GRATEFUL.
LOVE.

XO,
Rachel 


No comments:

Post a Comment