Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks For Those Present and Past

Hey All! As Thanksgiving approaches, I find myself super thankful for the people in my life. I truly believe people come in and out of your life for a reason. I have been thinking also of those not with me anymore. I have thought of my Grandpa a lot.


William Ross Wallace once said: "Every man dies - Not every man really lives." I am glad I can say that for my Grandpa, he was a man that really lived. He was always happy. Grandpa never complained. Everything always tasted good, every woman was beautiful and everyday was a great day. He always saw what was good.
There was never a time that I didn't walk into a room Grandpa was in without being greeted with a beaming smile and a loud, "Hi Sweetheart!". I remember when I was a little girl, having sleepovers at grandpa’s house. That little house nestled in Englewood was a little slice of paradise. All the grandchildren loved going to Grandpa's because he let us stay up as long as we wanted and had cable which was a real treat. His basement had games and there were always so many adventures to be had. He always taped our favorite shows when we weren't there - to watch the next time we came over. I think all my cousins remember all the "Earnest P Worrel" movies. We watched those until we wore out the VHS tapes. 

He made the best grilled cheese sandwiches and we always played exciting games of UNO. 
I remember one time I hijacked his motorized wheelchair and drove it down the alley and crashed it into a dumpster. My parents never knew because even when I misbehaved, Grandpa would tell my Dad that I was "good as gold" when he came to pick me up.

Grandpa was always on the go and taking the grandchildren places. We took many camping trips during the summers when we were young and Tiny Town was a favorite spot too. I remember his camper was always fully stocked with Sour Cream and Onion Pringles. As I grew older, I remember having conversations with my Grandpa about money and real estate - even at the age of 10. He used to tell me I would retire when I was 30. Well that is certainly not going to happen but his faith in me always felt really good. After I bought my first home several years ago, the first letter of congratulations I got in the mail was from him and I have carried it in my wallet since the day I opened it. He always had so much faith in me and came to every school event and graduation. He did for every grandchild and person in his life. Grandpa showed he cared. I loved that when I was in high school and college, Grandpa had a more festive social life than I did. He was always doing something fun. He danced, sang, and he never passed a roller coaster that he didn't take a ride on.


I think that Grandpa was always young at heart and savored every moment in life. That makes me feel good inside. I can see that my Mother got her fun loving spirit from Grandpa. He was a great teacher to have, not only for my Mom and her brothers and sisters, but also for everybody.  He was selfless and kind.  He loved being a parent and grandparent. 

While brainstorming this, one of my favorite Cherokee proverbs came to mind: "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." 

So I leave this being thankful. I am thankful for my mistakes, my victories, and my opportunities. I am thankful for those that have come into and out of my life. Those present and yet to come. 

Happy Thanksgiving Friends. 
XO, 
Rachel    

No comments:

Post a Comment